Monday, December 13, 2010

Shifting ideas into reality

The Reverb10 prompts continue to be about my life in so many ways. Today’s prompt states, “Action When it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step?”

The class I just finished asked this very same question - what are you next action items to make your aspirations a reality? With respect to my aspirations regarding Is Yoga Legal?, I have recently created a webpage (link soon), and my next step is to make it useful to the public. Within the next month, the website will be full of articles about yoga and professionals, about the benefits yoga and meditation can provide to professionals, and explanations of postures you can use at your desk to make your workday work for you. Also, I hope to create a Q and A page where we can begin to create a community together, asking the questions we all share, and providing answers to one another. If you have ideas on how to make such a page useful to you, please send them my way.

My other action item, in the representation of children in legal proceedings area of my life, is to go to New Zealand. I have mentioned this several times on this blog, so now is as good a time as any to explain what I plan to do there. I will be studying the New Zealand Family Law System. Unlike most courts in the United States, all children in New Zealand have an attorney in any case in which they are affected, such as divorce, child welfare, and delinquency. I will be writing a thesis on children’s representation, and hopefully coming back to the United States armed with the information and tools to implement better systems here.

But what about combining yoga and the law? One of my goals, having little to do with New Zealand, is to help shift the paradigm of thinking that we encounter in the legal system. While many people do their best to help children, often they are coming from old ways of thinking, ways that do not work in this ever-expanding world of energy and consciousness. What if we lived in a world where compassion were the starting point? What if we lived in a world where we did not judge individuals by individual acts? What if we lived in a world where children had a voice because they are people? What if?

Yes, these are aspirations for which I have no physical action steps today, but asking the questions, opening the universe to such possibilities is the first step. After all, two years ago, I told a judge in New Zealand that I wanted to go to his country to study, and my apartment in shambles is proof that I am leaving soon. Sometimes the most important action step is just being willing to see the possibility.

What are your aspirations? How can we best connect as a community?

Namaste and Blessings!

© 2010 Rebecca Stahl, all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment